Thursday, October 9, 2008

Some little things...

The other day I went for a walk by myself in Bouillargues, the village where I live, to get a bus pass. It was sooooo nice. We live at the entrance of the village, so I had only been in the centre a couple of times. Going by myself was good. It gave me a chance to look around, (and buy myself a pain au chocolat). The village is nice and quiet. There is a small park too. It has tress, and a "mairie" that sits on the end. It also has these lanterns that make it very "Murdoch like". And for those of you who know me and my little obssesion well, it is now one of my favorite spots.

Mrs. Lauretta knows a woman who's granddaughter is Canadian. The grandaughter's name is Marie Claude. She was born in Quebec, and lives there now, but she has also lived in Newfoundland, PEI, and good ol' Alberta.
Marie Claude was visting her grandma here in Nimes so we had invited her for dinner. She was super nice! She asked if I wanted to talk in english, because she has been speaking it for 10 years, but I said it was alright. I noticed something too. When I talked ot other EF students, I was just enjoying the fact that I was speaking my language again, but talking to Marie Claude in french made me concentrate more on Canada. It was so great to talk about it. Talking about Canada is like a security blanket for me.
Because she lived in english speaking provinces, she knows exactly how I feel being immersed into a different language. She was saying how sometimes its good to have a break and that it was good I had brought my english movies with me, and all sorts of things. She really understands, and it was really great. Because she was Canadian, it also felt like we were long time friends and already had inside jokes.
Mrs; Lauretta said that she hoped we liked salmon, Marie Claude answered that we were Canadians so we had better.
Also, the Laurettas mentioned how we would try to eat earlier from now on. 7:30 (some nights we don't eat until 8:30 or 10), Marie Claude and I smiled, and mentioned that it was funny, because we eat 5:30 or 6 in our country. The Laurettas were schocked that people would eat that early.
So anyway, I was really happy to meet her. She is going back to Montreal today I believe, but she gave me a bunch of contact information.
Everything else is going okay.
Miss you all
Katy

1 comment:

Katy's mum said...

I love hearing about these sorts of things. It helps me visualize your surroundings and picture you there.